Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Best Practices for content to go live

Over the time i've worked at MGM, we've been having some problems with how things go live after they are entered to the content management system.

The idea of "stage" and "production" seems to be confusing to the users. Since I made it on mgm.com a two stage click ("Click here to submit to stage", then "Click here to submit to production") the users simply click through both pages, and consider it an inconvenience (can you please remove the two pages and do both at once?).

To this end I think I will implement a "two user" policy for content to go live. The person who enters the content can submit the content for review, and the other person tests the content, then has the ability to send live. Of course I'll put in an extra user (me) who can do both ;)

Why don't users test the content? This is the question that has bugged me the most. Every single week I find someone live that wasn't tested (I can usually tell because the page is broken :S ). Constantly we reiterate how important it is to just go "look" at the page once you send the content live and see if it's even there!!

Users...

BFN

No comments: