Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Stargate site updates go live tomorrow

All the work our designer, and front end developer has put in (with a tiny help from me) will go live tomorrow! That's the plan anyhow. It feels like whenever we get mostly done with something, TPTB push us in an entirely new direction. It's hard to make a kick ass site when you don't know what the goals of the site are. Is the site supposed to sell more DVD's? To sell more digital downloads (iTunes/unBox)? To get more people to watch SciFi? To get more people interested in general?
Who are we trying to get to watch Stargate? Is it people in their 20's? 30's? It's hard to go in a solid direction, and then be able to gauge our success without any particular goals.

Anyhow, we're at a point where a new version will be out of the site. It looks good, not a whole lot has changed, there is no new content, only some new looking bits.
The part I'm most excited about is the amazon unbox buylinks on the episodes. I ran into a snafu however. It seems that Amazon UnBox doesn't let you link to a particular episode, only to the entire series! Not even just to a season!

This afternoon I'll be messing around more with SOAP to see if I can get it down to episode by episode purchases, otherwise the whole thing will be rather simple (one link for Atlantis, one link for SG1!)

Anyone linked directly to episodes on Amazon Unbox before?

BFN

2 comments:

morjana said...

GateWorld links to Amazon Unbox.

As my computer is too ancient and cranky to go to Amazon, I can't verify if they link directly to an episode, but here's the link they posted for "Missing":

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000YNKLYI/bonhoeffscell

Morjana

Unknown said...

Thanks! I really should have noticed that before right? :P For some reason their API isn't giving me back results for unbox.. when I use the unbox code all I get is the soundtrack. I'm trying very hard to make this "automatic" so our poor content manager doesn't have to go and look them all up individually. Sorry to hear your computer isn't up for Unbox! It's not all that fabulous, but I've bought episodes there in a pinch (when I missed it on TV, and iTunes hadn't posted it yet).