Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Simply comparing dates, sftpDrive

It's really very easy, but I always have to look up how to do it. This time I'll write it here so I can come back and find it faster next time. Simply transform valid dates using strtotime, then compare. Voila.. easy huh? If only I had more room in my brain for such simple things!

$today=strtotime($TodaysDate);
$release=strtotime($ReleaseDate);

if ($release < $today) {

//preorder

$button="preorder";

} else {

//regular

$button="order";

}


I was introduced today to a wonderful little app that I've been waiting for someone to write a good version of. This one is called sftpDrive. Quite simply it creates a "map" on this window's machine to an FTP server. Since I am still using Homesite (still haven't found anything as convenient) I just open up the mapped drive of the server I've ftp'd to, make changes, save file. Test on server. No pesky "in between" ftp'ing the file up using a standalone app. I am at this point about 90% sure I'll get them to buy it for me here at work, but 99% sure I'll get it at home!
Such a simple piece of software, but such a time saver! Thanks Matt for linking me that.

Found an image amongst the many that are not approved to go on stargate.mgm.com that I think fans will like. I am hoping if we ask nicely that they will approve it, as it doesn't actually have any people in it! I guess the way the images are approved is that the marketing people choose a few from the many, and send them over to the show runners, who then yes or no them. After that I am pretty sure it goes through legal, to make sure we have rights and what not, then they get sent to us to post on the site. Seems like a big run around, but considering the hot water we could be in if someone didn't like what was posted.. seems worthwhile!

Starting a small project of my own today, (in my own time, not for work) to write some firefox extensions. They seem pretty simple.. will update on progress, and if anyone feels like being a guinea pig later? jk.. don't want to crash your machines! If anyone has written any before, I'd love any hints or tips you can offer!





BFN

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I love the pic from Doppleganger. Looks like Kavan and Joe were cold!! I adore the behind the scenes shots.

Is your project just a way to practive you web magic?

I'm not sure if you're a Nine Inch Nails fan, but I watched how their site crashed 30 mins after their new CD release. They know about their rabid fan base, but still underestimated the demand on their servers, it was fascinating to watch them try to repair thing until they had to take the whole thing down and re-load everything eight hours later.

I want to see the numbers that created that crash soon! I could just imagine his IT team, scrambling those two days.

Unknown said...

Hee. I love hearing about what you are up to - and you always post the most fabulous, interesting pics - so thank you for those! It's great to get a kind of behind the scenes peek. :)

So how come the boys are huddled in their parkas while the girls are toughing it out without, hmm? :lol:

Anonymous said...

Jeni,
Just want to say how much I enjoy reading your blog and that you post these cool behind the scenes pictures! Thanks a million.

Little McKay said...

Well seeing as you posted up coding on your sweet little search feature that I might encorporate into my own site I guess I SHOULD really offer firefox extension help. I've never written my own specifically but I've helped others fix or improve theirs and co-wrote some private use ones; so if you need any specific help, just holler!

Best general advice is: keep it simple, stupid! It always steers me in the right direction ;).

Kavan was talking about that scene in doppelganger while at the pegasus 3 convention. He said it was freezing and with him having bare feet it was near torture. Seeing them standing there with big coats on makes me cringe for the poor guy!

Anonymous said...

Just read some of the folks comments and forgot that Kavan did the scene barefoot. And they're wearing parkas? Guess the energy crunch has hit the studios too (or else it's just chilly Canuck air) :)

As usual, adore the photos :D

Anonymous said...

Aww, lovely photos as usual. :) Poor frozen boys! :)

Always fun to drop by and see what's new! :D

morjana said...

Hi, Jeni!

Thank you for the photos, especially the one from Reunion with Aleks Paunovic.

What an interesting camera director Will Waring is using!

Best wishes, Morjana

Anonymous said...

Another interesting post - so cool to find out little tidbits happening behind the camera. Love the matching parkas on Joe and Kavan. Makes me wonder just how cold was it. Picture is awesome - like the script in the pocket and the marks on the floor and of course, the untied laces on Joe's boots. Thanks so much for sharing!

mtee said...

Thank you so much for the great behind the scenes pic. They make the show so much more personal! You can see the little details -- it becomes real to me.

Thanks again

mtee

Anonymous said...

Oh, they're so cute with their parkas! I love when you post these little pictures - they're so fun.

Wish I had more to say about the computer programming stuff, but basic HTML pretty much maxes out my skills! ;-)