Thursday, March 6, 2008

Source the file on the RIGHT server

I literally wasted about 3 hours this afternoon trying to get something to work. I say wasted, because if I'd just uploaded the file I was trying to remotely access to the live server, it would have worked! For some reason either the config on our dev server is different.. or something to do with the firewall.. file security or whatever. NOT fun! I had only a couple minutes left in the day before I needed to take my carpool mate home.. and I thought.. hmm.. what would happen if I put the file I'm trying to access someplace else. Voila. Of course at that point I realised that the 50 different ways I'd tried all afternoon would ALL have worked! Argh.. That's what I love about programming.

Drive to work today took almost two hours. If I'd not had my carpool mate in my car, it would have taken me even longer! One freeway has a carpool lane for part of the way, and I think this morning it saved us at least half an hour. SO ready to move.

Stargate was quiet today (no whooshing) but I realised I'd forgotten to post the results of last week's poll!
What do you think of the casting changes for Season 5?
  • Yay! - 26% - 1594
  • Boo! - 27% - 1667
  • I'll Wait and See. - 47% - 2890

I'd say those results speak for themselves, thanks to Rose for that poll!
This week's poll was by Elyse! I'm not sure what we'll do for the poll during the hiatus, but after reading Joe Mallozzi's blog, I've got my fingers crossed that we won't have to wait until the fall. I don't have any "inside" information on it, as when the next season airs is all up to SciFi.

Some comments:
Kristen: Yes my project is pretty much just that.. a way to try out new technology. If I try and read a book about it, articles, or tutorials I get bored after 5 minutes and never finish it. When I make a "project" out of it, something I think is useful, I can motivate myself to actually complete it! I love NIN.. I was wondering how it was faring with their release, as I'd not been able to get to their site. What they probably had was just a regular server running their site, and no CDN (Content Delivery Network) to handle any spikes in bandwidth. We learned our lessons about bandwidth spikes when the movie Rocky Balboa came out. Luckily we did have a CDN, so it just cost us extra, as opposed to any downtime!

Alipeeps: Yep I love the BTS pics too! I was also wondering why the other's didn't even seem cold? I am not sure when that eps was filmed, but it must have been early on in the filming last year.

Little McKay: Yay! I will be hitting you up for testing once I have something working ;) I forgot that he was barefoot in that scene, that must have hurt.

morjana: There were a bunch of pics similar to that with him setting up that shot. I thought it looked really interesting.

d-odyssey: I noticed that marks on the floor too. We have posters up around our office from famous MGM movies, and there is a picture from Annie Hall, where Diane Keaton is talking to Woody Allen and they are standing on chalk marks. I don't think I'd be able to move to the right spot without looking down!

omglawdork, Mary, Padawan Aneiki, Elyse: I definitely love the pics too! It's just so hard to choose which one to post.

BFN



4 comments:

morjana said...

Hi, Jeni!

Thank you for the photos!

SciFi Channel launched THEIR Ark of Truth page tonight:

http://www.scifi.com/arkoftruth/index.php

With videos, photos, etc.

Whoever created the graphic misspelled Christopher Judge's name as Cristopher.

LOL!

It's always that LAST set of eyes that catches these things. I was a web content editor for several years for an educational portal website, and if we had five people proof before the page went live, then the sixth would catch errors two seconds after it launched. Many late nights ensued...

Looking forward to "The Last Man." Have stockpiled some munchies.

Hope you have a terrific weekend!

:)

Morjana

Anonymous said...

Two hours commuting? You could learn a new language if you do that everyday! People here can't do that as they're too busy yakking on cellphones and drifting in their lanes...

Well, hopefully on the polls (thanks for using one I suggested) is a wrap-up poll of 'what did people think of season 4?' and that could stay up for a while, I'd suspect :)

Seeing the behind-the-scenes shots sure makes you realize just how good the actors are... I mean, someone's leaning over you with a heavy camera, practically has their knee in your spleen, and you just go ahead and do your lines. ;)

P.S. Glad you enjoyed my final parody for the season :)

Anonymous said...

Ohh, more cool pics. :) Makes you wanna see the ep again for all the cool camera angles. :D

Last Man tonight...*sniff* the wait begins! But I'm thinkin' Chinese takeout will soften the blow. ;)

Eeeek, not enough coffee in the world this morning. *rubs eyes sleepily*

Little McKay said...

Because I do a lot of filming myself, I ALWAYS notice markers on the ground. I'm so bad that I did notice the tiny little bit of blue on the ground for David Hewlett to hit after Beckett doubled over in Kindred Part 2!! HA!

I dunno how actors cope with cameras so in their face! Makes me feel claustrophobic just looking at the pics.

As soon as you need any firefox extension help - if it's easier - you can hit me up at mckay [at] asquirrelsbreakfast.com and I'm not promising anything because I'm sure you'll likely be better than me anyway!

However I WOULD be a pretty good guiney pig. If it DID mess up my computer I have 59 fellow astrophysics students and 43 fellow mechanical and electrical engineering students who'd be able to help me get Sorry (my laptop) sorted :).