Friday, February 22, 2008

Migration plans.. no code :(

As I was starting to write the code which will run the administration site for the new mgm.com, I realised there was a problem. I've been waiting to get an additional server, at our host, with everything setup like our current live servers, the exception being with the latest version of PHP. This way I can load all the current sites onto said server, and work to iron out any bugs. Still no server (I made the case for it last year). Now the question is do I write the whole new site in the old version? Or wait for a new one.

I met with my boss about it, and we went over the pros and cons (hi there boss reading this!), and so now I'm stalled until we can get the new server.

Fixed a couple bugs on Stargate.. and on the web server setups to handle errors. Apparently our new CDN doesn't work with our virtual hosts file in the same way as it did on the old one. None of my fancy "auto search" for mgm.com was working, and none of the error pages (for stargate, mgm, or mgmhd) either. The auto search feature is sorta cool, but only the members of my team know about it. Basically you browse to mgm.com, then add a /search words and it will try and find what's after the slash. For example, 'www.mgm.com/rescue dawn' will take you to that movie, as there is only one search result. Another example 'www.mgm.com/species' will take you to search results for species, as there is more than one result.
I was quite proud of this fancy lil code (actually it's kinda simple) but alas no way to tell people that it's there.

Wish there had been some documentation from our new CDN that would have alerted me to the fact before we switched, so I didn't just "happen" across the bug one day.

I'm definitely looking forward to tonights episode! After this short (but long feeling) week, I might buy myself some juice on the way home to go with the vodka in my freezer.. Is it wrong to drink alone? I'll be with my TV?!

Never mind!

BFN



5 comments:

morjana said...

Hi, Jeni!

Thank you for the photos! Very nice...

GateWorld just announced that soundtracks for both AoT and Continuum will be released! Woo-hoo!

:)

Watching SG1's "A Hundred Days" right now. Sigh. One of my favorite episodes. Angst. More angst. Lots of hot, steamy, civilian clothing dressed, smiling, Jack!

(Why, yes, I am addicted to Jack. But also to Shep!)

Have a terrific weekend, Jeni, and thank you for sharing the photos and all your hard work.

Morjana

Anonymous said...

Your blog is great, love the nice SGA pictures and inside you providing for us!!! :)
I have question for you, is that McKay on the pic, the guy on the floor? And from which episode?

And a little suggestion, a MGM poll question you could ask: Which unusually pair would you like to see more often work together on Atlantis:
Teyla-McKay, Sheppard-Keller, Ronon-Zelenka, McKay-Ronon

And sorry for my english, don´t know if the grammer is correct?

Little McKay said...

Wow lots of work! I'm going through a very similar server issue myself but for a much less important site so I share your pain devided by about 10.

That is a very cool search feature. I really like that. Just played around with it there. It might not be something that's easily advertised I guess, but hopefully one day it becomes common place as it's a very nice feature. Was that a nightmare to set up? I know you said the code was actually simple, but when things are "simple" for me, I've usually had to go through the million and one hard ways before I slap myself at how easily it can be done lol.

Nice pics :). I think a certain somebody needs more downtime, poor thing falling asleep during shooting lol.

Anonymous said...

Yikes...sounds like there are a few wrinkles to overcome, but I'm sure you're up to the challenge of new servers and new code and all that. :D

Always cool to see what photos you pop up in a given entry. :D

Anonymous said...

The tv definitely counts as a drinking buddy.