Thursday, February 7, 2008

Oracle frustrates me with no id handling

Well that's not entirely true, about the no id handling. Today was spent trying to work out how to get the "last inserted id" from oracle. It's pretty simple with mySQL.. it's .. LAST_INSERT_ID().
I think I'll have to kludge it for the transfer tools, and work out something for the new administration site.

Not sure if I'd mentioned it here yet but we're working on a complete redesign from the database up for mgm.com. It's been in the works forever, but it's not a priority for our PTB, so we only work on it when there's nothing to do on Stargate, MGM HD, American Gladiators, or any of the theatrical sites. Basically never.

Now onto the subject I know 99% of the people that read the blog are here for ;)
I finished watching "the Ark of Truth" at lunchtime. The only thing I'll say is that it's got some lovely whump in it for.. well.. just about everyone. I can't wait for it to be released, so I can sit on my couch and watch it properly (the version I was loaned was meant to be played widescreen, but I couldn't get it to "unsquish" - my technical term).

I checked out the video's that we'll be posting to stargate.mgm.com in the coming weeks from the People's Choice Awards. It's the viewer questions, and I don't remember seeing them before on the People's Choice site. Lots of fun. We're also posting the extended video's from when Extra was on the set with Genii Jerry. There's a video each for Amanda Tapping, David Hewlett, Joe Flanigan, Jewel Staite, and Jason Momoa which will be released over the next few weeks leading up until the end of the season. I watched them all, and was shocked to see I'd spoiled myself by watching two particular ones. That's probably the worst part about working on the site, and people at work knowing I'm a fan and showing me stuff that's not out yet. I constantly spoil myself ><. I checked with the content person and confirmed they weren't going to be posted on the site until after the particular spoiler content had aired.

Earlier this week I forgot to post the results of last week's poll:
Will the events in "Harmony" affect Genii relations?
As I see it, Yes. - 53% - 2399
Cannot predict right now. - 20% - 891
My reply is No. - 28% - 1259
Total votes: 4549

In response to some comments:
beaniesheppard: Actually we host that site (AtlantisDVD.co.uk) but we did not build it. It's maintained by a company in the UK, for Fox (who does MGM's DVD distribution). There is someone at that company who emails me to push files live for them, so I can certainly point your concerns in the right direction. Email me at jeniimages@gmail.com and I'll send your email on to them.
Kristen: Sorry I don't know anything about the pics specifically. We get a disc full of them, and then get told which few are approved by legal to put up on the site (like 10 out of 100). The designer then resizes them, and the content person posts them. I just happened to get a disc from early in the season and snagged some of the choice images.
Liz: I've tried to move that rss link, but I think it's a blogger thing. I can't find it anyplace in the template or settings to move it. I noticed other people with blogger blogs have the same issue.
Crystal: I love New Voyages! Great BTS pictures on your blog, very exciting!

Side note about today's pics.. nothing exciting from the show, but I'm almost out until after the end of the season (got some nice eps 20 bts shots) and after the Ark of Truth is released. These frisbee thingies were given to the cast when they were here to film the People's Choice bit in early Jan. David commented that Mars will take about 10 seconds to chew it to pieces.

This image for scale..


You sort of twist it down into a little circle and stuff it in a little pouch. Reminds me of a sun shade I used to have for my car, but much smaller.

BFN

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, miniature Stargate Atlantis sunshades for the car!! ;) I think I know what they're made of and yeah, David's dog will probably have it in pieces in more like 5 seconds.

I'm not really reading spoilers on ARK OF TRUTH, but it's only about a month away, but great news on the whump (as I do like that genre).

The PCA videos sound great; thanks for giving us the heads up.

Out of curiosity, will the complete redesign of the database impact how we view or access the site?

Anonymous said...

The flyers are cute! :) And yeah, I imagine as a fan, getting spoiled like that would be a bit frustrating once in awhile. :)

Telesilla said...

I'm funny about spoilers, sometimes the more I care about a show, the more I want to be spoiled just to be braced in case I don't like a given episode.

morjana said...

Hi, Jeni.

Oh, the Atlantis flyers look great!

I have some Enterprise nerf flyers somewhere...and some of those inflatable Enterprise's that came out for...Star Trek 6? 5? One of those movies...LOL!

(PS - I responded to the Team Stargate survey. I bet they'll figure out which survey was mine! LOL!)

Best wishes, Jeni. Trio in one more day!

:)

Morjana

watcher652 said...

Hmm, I think Atlants car shades is a great idea. Also, those plastic things that cling on the inside of your car windows? I want one with the Atlantis Pegasus logo. I want a sticker to put on my laptop (even if it isn't a Dell). I want... merchandising!

*cough* Excuse me. I was overcome by avarice. I just want to share my love and the show doesn't make it easy.

Anyway, thanks so much for these behind the scenes peeks into Atlantis. It's much appreciated.

Unknown said...

I've looked at all the videos on the MGM site, but the one for "The Ark of the Truth" gave me a quicktime plug in error over and over again, though my player is up to date.

Would this be on something on my side..if not I thought you might want to know :D

You know I go to the MGM site the most because its constantly up to date with new previews and promo stills. Your whole Team does a great job!

Anonymous said...

Why you only got take pics of the back-end developer. No love for the front-end?! :p