Friday, January 25, 2008

Busy day with DNS/faux sites for Natpe


Next week americangladiators.com goes live with a new site, so we've been scrambling to setup the CDN to sit in front of it (for all that crazy traffic!) and work out where it's to be hosted.. where the DNS should go. I think it's much more complicated than it needs to be.. but that's pretty common!

Morning started with both our designer and front end developer's calling off sick. Seems something is going around the office, and I sure don't want it! Sadly that meant that I spent a large amount of my day putting my fingers in the dike. Edited a page that will be a "faux site" called KMGM, for NATPE, that will showcase upcoming syndication stuff like Reno911 and Chappelle's show. Fun stuff.. great videos good for a laugh!

I'm looking forward to watching Harmony tonight, hopefully I won't have so many DVR problems like last week!

Thanks to crownglass39, morjana (who is always the best!), kristen, rose and omglawdork for your kind words. Sorry I went a bit ape yesterday.. I guess I take things Stargate related a little too personally! I just love the show tons, and get tired of "fanatics" always dogging things we do, and calling us all sorts of nice things (yes I lurk on Gateworld!). We are human, we make mistakes, it's not because we don't love the show that these things happen.

I love it when you guys leave me hints as to what's broken (morjana has helped me tons of times!) sometimes we're in a rush, and don't check things properly.

Specially in response to kristen, I'm not actually the "web master" per se, just the web programmer. I started at MGM about a year and a half ago, and we didn't even work on the Stargate site until April last year. I had seen the show, and I am a sworn sci-fi fan (movies, tv shows, books you name it!) and I have all the toys and posters in my cube to prove it. I became a dedicated fan when we took over the site and watched all the episodes of SG1 and Atlantis back to back over a few weeks, here at lunch, then after work (turned my BF into a fan in the process).

I love the reactions of the fans to most of the polls, and how people get quite adamant about who should win! I report on their progress to our team, who all find the results interesting as well.

Anyhow.. it's late Friday night, time for me to go home! Everyone have a great weekend! Tomorrow is Australia Day (26th Jan) so everyone have a beer for me (or raise their glass!)

BFN

2 comments:

crownglass39 said...

Everyone is allowed to have bad days. Hell, I had one today. It got to the point that if I had one more patient complain about inconsequential stuff about their glasses that are five years old, there would have been bloodshed.
Bloodshed I tell you.
(I'm an optician... when I'm not hanging from poles anyway.)

I hope you don't let people get to you too much...
Also, thanks for the shout out, that was very nice of you! :)

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about making with a positive, negative and an "I'm not sure" type middle answer? There have been a few times when I go 'eh, can't choose!" :)

And yup, people complain in fandom; it's just part and parcel of being in fandom. It's nothing compared to some people I've seen complain about paperclips in the office! Shudder.