Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Stargate site changes galore

Tons of work on Stargate site this week.. sadly to the detriment of the other sites.

I work hard to separate my love for the show, from my extreme displeasure at the marketing choices made by TPTB over what we can put on the site, what we are promoting, and the content they give us.

So pages are ready to go up (once legal approved) for Rankings and Winners of Team Stargate. This has been a major argument point over the last few days, but I won't go into it. The pages themselves are super simple, I wrote them to be database driven from the administration site, so our content person can update them as they get the ranks/winners. Along with this we have received all of the new images for Ark of Truth! Sadly I have to rewrite the stills page to accommodate these, nothing dramatic, but going to be partially hard-coded for each movie, since there will be no more SG1 seasons.

Between all these new pages, I've been rewriting the home page poll. It's just not been working the way we'd hoped. When we first wrote this site about a year ago, it was in a huge hurry (we had a month and a half!) so I cut corners where possible, and the poll was on a corner. Basically it's someone else's code, shoehorned into our administration site, and front end. It breaks when you put single apostrophes in the fields. I know.. simple to fix.. except who loves wading through someone else's code? not me! So I'm just rewriting it. Much simpler and easier for the content people to use.

That's about half of the updates just for this week. Sounds quick and easy.. but no such luck of course!

Going to a pre-screening of Cloverfield tonight.. WOOT!

BFN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a Web Admin myself, I totally feel for you here.

Can I ask one thing though? Why is Team Stargate only open to residents of the US and Canada?

Cheers, chevron7