Monday, January 28, 2008

CDN link irritation and more bts


After finally getting the time to read the documentation for setting up the sites with the new CDN.. we discovered a rather large issue. We have to change all the src and links to everything on all the sites. Doesn't sound so bad? We have literally thousands of pages, and ten times more images. Luckily at least a chunk of Stargate and MGM.com are actually content managed pages, so that won't so too much of a drama.. but there are tons of micro sites (sites specific to each movie) that will have to get changed once they are written.

The solution I came up for inserting the correct absolute URL and still have development and staging work is pretty simple. Just get this: $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] and assign them to a var, and stick them in front of every url. Ick.. anyhow.. I guess we'll do high traffic stuff first, and work our way through the rest later.
I had quite a panic on Friday night. I was watching SGA with the BF, and I saw our ad come up (Unlock the Gate Sweepstakes) and went WHOOPS! I didn't test to make sure I'd set it to turn on, and check that the word was right! I dashed over to my computer, and attempted to browse to stargate.mgm.com only to have it.. fail?! I go to google.com, jeninason.com yep.. they work fine.. only stargate.. I find my phone, frantically dial my boss, leave him a message. What to do! I reloaded a few times.. and _finally_ after at least 5 minutes of trying I got the page to load. Yikes.. that must have been some crazy traffic spike. I guess it's safe to say we'll be putting contest and sweeps pages behind the CDN. Slowly my breathing returned to normal, and I had to rewind part of what I'd missed on Harmony.

I know some people think the painting was mean for Shep.. and I agree to an extent.. but it was SO funny.. I can't help but love it! I spent a while this morning after I got to work trying to find out if we had any decent hires images of that painting to no avail! Oh well.. I put up some other random pics for today!

In response to a couple comments specifically:
Achimedes on the Hollywood Ashes; Looks like that's what our ex-cricket captains are up to! I was terribly sad that there weren't more people there, but I guess Americans for the most part just simply don't understand cricket. That's just not cricket I say!

Crownglass39; I too would love that picture on a t-shirt.. if only I could get a really great image of it! Thanks for the "bad day" comment too.. as I said.. it can be hard not to take things personally but now I think it's quite funny.

Kristen; Sadly I don't directly get any content. I wrote the pages that display the content, and an administration system so the content people can upload things and turn them on without anything coming near me. I do _sort of_ get a say in content, but usually only if my opinion is asked (being the resident SG fangirl) and each Monday the content person asks me what I want this week's poll to be, then she rewords it so it fits and sounds much cooler. Funnily enough PHP is my main language right now, but I started out in Perl, then some ASP, Java, C etc. Most of our sites are PHP with either Oracle or MySQL as our databases.

Morjana; Yep.. me too.. I save the eps on my DVR, and watch them all weekend, sometimes I just play them over and over as I'm doing housework. My workmates hate that I can sometimes recite the script verbatim.. addicted I tell you!

Rose; I honestly was sure I wasn't going to like Harmony. What a pleasant surprise! Plus I just love the McKay/Sheppard thing too.

Achimedes (again ;)) ; That's such a great description, Bing Crosby-Bob Hope.. definitely!

Ruffles; I agree with the poor John, he worked so hard and got the snub. Still.. was funny :)

A-Pilgrim-soul; Thanks for your kind words! I'll try and keep the pics coming.

Finally results of last week's poll. Wasn't very popular.. could have been both the topic, and the fact that it was without the submit button.. scared people off?
Do you think McKay will propose to Katie Brown?
Don't hold your breath. - 43% - 2166
Maybe yes. Maybe no. - 27% - 1393
Yes. They're MFEO. - 30% - 1537
Total: 5096

BFN!

3 comments:

crownglass39 said...

That html stuff? How do you keep it all straight?
I'm just happy that I know how to bold and link!
(Nice pic, by the way!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeni!

Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying reading this blog, and how grateful I am for the wonderful piccies you put up. I love the polls, and hope you'll continue to put up the results?

I really enjoy reading about everything you do too. This SGA fan LOVES the show to bits!

Thanks for all your hard work! (And the nice piccies you sent me a while back on GW!)

Hugs

Linz

Unknown said...

You started in Perl? Not a favorite one I'd say. So what would is an average day at work like for you? At least you're not a game programmer or you'd never see the sky again.

Saw the new poll, I hope in season 5 we could have some more Genii plot lines, they're cool because of the past treachery and the fact hey are human enemies. CoupDe'Tat, The Storm/Eye and Common Ground are all such top notch episodes.

Thanks for the parka pic, looks like that might have been taken on set of Outcast. Hope you have a good day.