Thursday, January 31, 2008

CDN up for HD and American Gladiators

Today we finally resolved that as long as the pages are being cached at our CDN, then we don't have to rewrite every img src and link to point to the absolute url. That was such a giant relief!!

After finding out this wonderful news, I went back to the HD site, which I'd already changed most of the links, and switched them all back. At least I was smart enough to start with the smallest site.. imagine if I'd chosen to do Stargate first! *groan* The best part of this whole CDN business is that the sites should be faster, especially for people outside the USA (since our servers are based in Ohio).

Aside the the CDN run around, we should be going live with a new contest on Monday (for the movie Wedding Daze) and I've just about finished writing that. Thank goodness I spent such a lot of time setting up a "contest" interface outside of Stargate last year.. made this one much faster to create.

American Gladiators site is live now, but better than that! It's actually behind the CDN. I wanted to switch stargate today, but there was a snafu in the cname update request through our host. They thought when I said "setup the cname on stargate.mgm.com" that I really meant.. "setup the cname on www.stargate.mgm.com". *sigh*

Our content manager today asked me to write her a new form for the administration site. Apparently she has SO many images to upload.. she gets tired of doing them all on one page. I'll write her a page where she can do 5 or 10 at a time, make it quicker.. that's what I'm here for! On a sadder note.. sounds like some of the Ark of Truth images will be coming off the site. Most of the ones she will take off haven't actually gone up yet (I wrote a nifty start and end date into the admin site so she can do things in advance).



Thanks for all the wonderful comments and recommendations for fanfic! In answer to some of the questions, I like it all (gen, het, slash, ship, au, etc). I have a fondness for SGA DH & JF, but definitely like SG1 as well.

I didn't quite get done reading "White Walls" this morning, but in my lunch break I read "Between the Lines" by Sholio, a.k.a. friendshipper. I will definitely check out more from her, and all of the other links and authors suggested!
I remember the first story I read, was by liketheriver called "Velocity Asymptotic". That got me hooked! I've read so many now that sometimes I honestly can't remember if some instances are an episode, or a story I read that was so vivid that I can "see" the images from it!

Mostly I copy the text into a text editor, then spell check. My only "peeve" with some fic is that not all typos get found or fixed. It can really distract me from the story.

Looking forward to reading more of it of course!

BFN

3 comments:

Tara K. said...

OK, recs. Umm, all McShep slash.

One of the best SGA series hands down is Sheafrotherdon's Farm in Iowa AU. Index post: http://sheafrotherdon.livejournal.com/105567.html
Latest installment: http://sheafrotherdon.livejournal.com/234266.html

I would also recommend anything else by Sheafrotherdon, specifically "A Whole World of Trouble." http://community.livejournal.com/sga_flashfic/562904.html

Another astoundingly impressive AU is "Written by the Victors" by Speranza. It re-writes the future of Atlantis and is heartbreakingly beautiful. http://www.trickster.org/speranza/cesper/Victors.html

Rageprufrock writes SGA McShep with a completely different flavor that I personally love. Immediately, I recommend "#435, The Atlantis Local Stitch'n'Bitch Chapter." http://glitterati.talkoncorners.net/fiction/435.html

Her website: http://glitterati.talkoncorners.net/fiction/index.html#sga

"Fireball" by Celli Lane is another AU. Yes, it's NASCAR, but it's SGA NASCAR. http://fanfic101.com/sga_fireball.htm

"Junk Cheap" by Devildoll is yet another AU that I love. http://devildoll.livejournal.com/751627.html

OK, those are a few of my favorites. I hope you enjoy.

Tara K.

morjana said...

Hi, Jeni!

Just noticed this on the main page:

http://stargate.mgm.com/

Don't Miss Miller's Crossing!

ACK!

Morjana

Anonymous said...

"White Walls" took a lot out of me when I read it, the redeeming quality is the fact that the writer took the time to devote half the fic to what happened and the other half to the healing. I'm not a fan of authors who put characters through their paces without fallout or taking the time to try to put them back together. Typically I don't read anything that dark, but she's good.


Can't wait for tonight! I know Joe Flanigan has a tough time with the 'sci-fi' because its tough to put a lot of emotion in short, fast scenes. I get the feeling tonight's eppy he had more to work with, something meaty and I'm sure its going to be great! We're long over due for some Shep background and something of a plot with more layers. Because he's the 'hero' it seems any Sheppard focused scripts are all action orientated, it'll be nice to get a mix for once.